Speedy's Fear

This poem is dedicated to ‘Speedy’, the elderly factotum at my business in Hong Kong. We were forced to close the firm in 1999 because of the impact of the Asian financial crisis, and one hundred and fifty staff, including me, lost their jobs. 
    The poem is written as a sonnet in iambic pentameter, except for lines 10 and 12, which are in trochee pentameter, whereby I’ve deliberately shifted the emphasis to particular words for greater impact.



I've blighted many anxious lives today,
For we must close as Asian markets crash.
A softly-spoken older man did weep
In grief and anguish at my futile words,
For fear and terror stalked him as a child
As he fled at first from the Rising Sun,
And then the fevered chaos of Mao's Red Guard.
Yet he was young and had, with luck, survived,
But now he's terror-struck once more. He fears
Empty days amid his Mong Kok high-rise,
And pleads in tears for answers I can't give,
'Where will I go each day? What will I do?
My life is here among you, my friends,
Will you allow me to work here without pay?'

Photo: Andre Halim at Unsplash














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portrait of a strangely-dressed man

A Guardian of Empire

At Eston Cemetery, Plot M205