A Guardian of Empire

This poem is my first attempt at writing in contemporary ‘free verse’. I believe poetry written without a form of control is like music written without order, and it becomes a mess.  The poem is completely unstructured with no metre or rhyme; instead, I have tried to create a readable poem by using sentence structure, punctuation, language and the natural flow of the spoken word.

We must go to school somewhere,
and mine was an idyllic island,
of unbounded childhood joy.
A bulwark of English tradition
amidst the social upheaval,
the anarchy, perhaps, of the ‘60s,
with a progressive outlook,
if one was of the Edwardian era,
for it was a training ground
for the Guardians of Empire.

And I loved it.

I was steeped in its timeless values: 
of fair discipline, 
academic excellence,
and sporting prowess.
Our gaggle of ancient and venerated teachers,
all veterans of wars past,
of Ypres and the Somme, 
Normandy and the Yangtze Kiang,
tried to shape my impressionable mind.

They did better than my parents
to foster my intellectual curiosity,
my moral compass and a lifelong love 
of literature, mathematics and science.
They referred to me, 
affectionately, I think,
as ‘The Admiral.’

And I loved them.

My memories resound
with the boisterous laughter
and chatter of young boys.
We were constantly busy
in a kaleidoscope of lessons, 
games of cricket, football and rugby,
and model-making, nature walks
and digging in the kitchen garden.

And I laughed.

Our classrooms were filled like museum galleries
with rows of wooden desks,
equipped with inkwells and dip pens,
each exquisitely carved 
with the names and graffiti  
of generations of boys,
as finely as any Renaissance artist might achieve.

Wall maps, with most of the globe 
still shaded with the red of Empire,
and chalkboards adorned the walls.
The heavy wooden board rubbers
became as wounding as six-inch artillery shells
in the hands of the ancients.

And I learned.

Meal times were a moment
for friendship and shared experience.
We gathered under the supervision
of the ancients, seated on benches
around long, wooden tables.
Our unbroken voices blended 
in a lively chorus recounting 
our day's events.
We shared our infantile jokes
and teased each other,
over our abundant and wholesome food.

And I thrived.

Before bedtime, in the quiet confines
of the oak-panelled hall,
we immersed ourselves in reading 
approved novels and British history, 
or playing chess.
In my mind’s eye, I can still see 
the large brass bell
fixed in the centre of 
the timbered wall,
by which boys marked the passage 
of each school day.

And I slept.

Dozens of annual school photographs 
adorned the richly polished panels
from which, as the years passed,
my grinning face emerged. 
Eventually, 
I had to leave my idyllic island.

And I grew.

Photo: The author.




















Comments

I love this so much!

The new style really suits you - it seems to flow effortlessly.

And what a fantastic endorsement for the school. You should let them see it.

You are fortunate to have had such a positive experience.
Dave said…
I think this is one of your best Simon.

Popular posts from this blog

Portrait of a strangely-dressed man

At Eston Cemetery, Plot M205