The Insured

This free verse poem is the second in the ‘Bothnia Star’ series.

Listen to: The Insured

The Greek sipped at his bitter black coffee,
Perhaps hoping to find cash in the dregs.
He sighed, gazing past me at the window,
and the dreary London rain that softly
patterned the glass with melancholy.

His gaze returned to the BBC news,
his voice tinged with disdain.

‘I have to say,’ growled the bullish old Greek,
‘They did a first rate job saving the ship,'
I allowed his fulsome praise to wash over me,
for I saw the 'but' roll in like the swell,
‘but,’ he glowered, ‘don't let ‘em do it again.’

‘She’s worth six and you insured her for nine,
Next time, just let the bloody thing sink!’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portrait of a strangely-dressed man

A Guardian of Empire

Portrait of a Shipowner